The four remaining Oregon militants holding out at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge are reporting that their cellphones and internet access have finally been shut off by the FBI.
According to OPB, David Fry, one of the remaining four, told them that federal authorities had turned off their cell phones. At the time, Fry said although he couldn’t make outgoing calls his phone was still able to receive calls, but the cellphones of the other three militants occupying the refuge had been rendered useless. He also said that they are now unable to access the internet as well.
The four stragglers are no longer staying inside, and have instead moved outdoors for some reason. They are using a generator for power, so they were unable to confirm whether or not the power to the federal buildings had been cut off.
Greg Whalen, an associate of the militia members, posted on Facebook Sunday morning that he had spoken to Sean and Sandy Anderson, two of the last four who are refusing to give up on the failed occupation. The Andersons told him the same thing Fry had told the media, that their phones had been shut down and their internet access has been blocked. The social media post also reported that when Whalen attempted to call Fry’s phone, it was the FBI who answered it.
About an hour later, Whalen posted that “it was official,” the FBI had successfully blocked all of their communications, although the reason he declared it “official” is completely unknown. OPB had reached out to law enforcement for confirmation, but so far had not gotten a response.
The remaining militants have previously said they will not surrender until everyone who was involved in the month’s long standoff is pardoned. Fry argued for this proposal in a video posted to YouTube.
Why can’t they pardon all of us? I think before we leave, every single one of the people involved in this operation should be pardoned.”
“That’s our current demand. Everybody’s got to be pardoned. We all gotta go free. We all get to go home. Other than that, (we) don’t know what’s going to happen next.”
The last four members remain despite the fact that Ammon Bundy, the group’s leader, has told his followers to leave the refuge and go home, saying his message has been sent. Presumably getting locked up in jail indefinitely helped convince him of this.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Stacie Beckerman has denied release to Bundy and the other militants who were arrested on the night Lavoy Finicum was shot and killed by law enforcement after he attempted to pull a gun on them. Beckerman said she will not consider releasing the men until the standoff comes to an end.
Bundy denies being aligned with the four who remain holed up at the wildlife refuge, insisting that he wasn’t even familiar with David Fry’s name previously.
Featured image via video screen capture